I know that the title of this post might be a bit confusing, but those of you who’ve been over to my website recently, you might have an inkling as to it’s meaning.
This is an idea of how things used to look on my website…
It’s Time To Update My Website
I’ve come to consider certain aspects of my site to be a little to static, like the heading, buttons. But other aspects of the site were over complicated, such as some of the page designs.
Because I use Weebly to create my website there are some built-in limitations to what the designer will allow me to do without adding in HTML code blocks.
So here’s a quick look at some of the things that are changing.
New Page Layouts
I’m also updating the general design of my site, because there are a lot of very different page designs being used.
When I first started setting up the site, I wanted to keep things simple. But then I decided to add book pages, character pages, and other features. Unfortunately, I didn’t manage to keep things simple, because I ended up adding way more details than were really needed.
The image to the left shows just how much information I tried to provide about the characters. There’s a brief introduction to the character, a quote from them, a description of them, some background details, and a list of friends, book appearances, and other links.
It’s just too much information…
Well, that’s all changing. The pages are going to be massively simplified where necessary, and only contain information that’s actually relevant. Instead of giving a break-down of the character’s appearance, I’ll be working on getting some better images (which might take some time).
A New, Bolder Site Header Image
This is among the biggest changes, and it helps give a feel for the overall design of the site.
Here’s the old header design, which I actually liked a lot.
And here’s a look at the new site header.I found the basic banner image over on Deposit Photos, which is a stock image site. That gave me the black background, the red chevrons and the chrome edging.
Because I liked a lot of the elements of the old design, I kept the city skyline, and the wolf-moon logo, and superimposed them over the image I’d downloaded. A little messing around with layer transparencies, and adding text in matching colors gave me a result I’m very pleased with.
New Style Buttons – With Roll-Over Action
I also discovered that there were buttons available that mirrored the banner design, and the came in two different (but very compatible styles). In this case, I was able to just add the text layers, and align them to the same position on the button (to maintain a consistent arrangement).
Because I had two different designs, I wanted to make them interactive, and knew there had to be a way to swap one image for another with HTML code.
After some digging around online, I found several options and decided to animate the buttons with roll-over effect. The button without the chevrons is the button displayed on the page, until you move your mouse pointer over it. Unfortunately, I can’t reproduce that effect in a blog post, so you’ll have to check out on my site.
Bringing It All Together
Here’s a look at how everything comes together.
This is the new, simplified, book page, and I have to admit, I love how easy it is to read, compared the the previous format.
The buttons that link to each of the book retailers look amazing down there at the bottom.
As I release more stories (or appear in more anthologies), the only thing that’s going to change about these page layouts is the presence (or lack of) of a review quote, and the location (and presence) of the relevant buttons.
For example, “Evaline Transcendent” (my science fiction story) is only available at Amazon. So the buttons for the other retailers are under a “coming soon to these retailers” heading.
There are still a lot of changes coming to the site, as I update all the pages, and simplify things.
Please drop in at my site and drop your thoughts into the comment box.