Halloween is a time when many people go out and purchase pumpkins to butcher into various shapes, lantern styles, and even impressive sculptures.
This isn’t an article on HOW to go about carving pumpkins, because I’m definitely not in expert in the field. Instead I’m going to round-up some resources to get you started, and provide a few tips from talking to people who have experience in pumpkin carving.
1. Pick Your Tools
Tools come in a variety of materials, designs, and range from simple sets for beginners to full tool-kits. Here are a few to choose from, depending on your budget and level of experience.
From talking to friends who carve pumpkins yearly, I came up with some recommendations:
- Plastic tools are cheap, and don’t last long. In fact they may even break before you finish carving your first design, if it’s complicated.
- Spend the extra money and buy stainless steel tools, if your budget can stretch that far. They work better, and are far more durable.
- Don’t spend more money than you need to. If you’re not carving a full sculpture, you don’t need a ton of different tools.
- Materials: Plastic
- (2) Carving Tools
- (1) Marker
- (1) Pumpkin Scooper
- (10) Carving Patterns.
- 【 LUXURY SET】This Pumpkin carving set includes 8 pcs (1 Pumpkin Scooper, 1 Large Saw, 1 Small Saw, 1 Drill, 1 Poker Wheel, 2 LED Candles & 10 Carving Stencils).
- 【 SAFE TO USE】The most secure carving kit for Children to use, no blade, safer than kitchen knife. Happy Halloween!
- 【HAVING FUN WITH FAMILY】Halloween won’t be complete without carving pumpkins and jack-o’-lantern! It’s a fun way to enjoy the wonderful Halloween time with family and friends.
- 【NO-RISK PURCHASE】If any problem with the item, please feel free to contact us for unconditional refund.
- 【WARNING】Our carving tools are safe to use. It is important to note that children are required to use the tool under adults’ supervision, even if our tools are safe for children.
- MULTIPLE TOOLS — The Pumpkin Carving Kit contains all the tools you want, including pumpkin scooper, double-sided saw, small saw, cambered etching tool, pumpkin drill, triangle carving spoon, carving knife and a carrying case.
- DURABLE & RELIABLE — The our pumpkin carving set is made up of riveted stainless steel handles that ensure our tools can be re-used year after year. Do not worry about them breaking and ruining your Halloween experience!
- SAFE TO USE — Our high-quality pumpkin carving tool not only ensure the efficiency of carving pumpkins, but also the high quality materials and professional design of the pumpkin carving tool kit ensure the safety of your use. We also recommend that children under the age of 10 should use these tools under the supervision of an adult.
- MEMORABLE HALLOWEEN — Halloween won’t be complete without carving pumpkins and jack-o’-lantern! Carving pumpkins is a tradition and we want our tools to help build that memory with your friends, family, and loved ones.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE –AT Creative Carvings we trust that our premium pumpkin carving kit will exceed your standards and make this the easiest pumpkins you have ever carved or we will refund your entire purchase!
2. Pick A Design
- 10 pieces in a package
- Perfect for teens and adults
- Draw elegant, detailed pumpkin designs with ease with these stencils to create patterns of ghosts, grim reapers, cats, witches, aliens, and more
- Great for halloween events, spooky entertainment and other themes occasions
- 11″ tall stencil book
- Includes 12 different designs
- Stencils are reusable if traced onto pumpkin
- Feature a fun variety of Halloween scenes and faces
- Makes carving pumpkins quick and easy
Pumpkin Masters Classics 8 Pattern Collection-Patterns may vary from photos.
26 great patterns and loads of tips for awesome jack-o-lantern fun!
Make your Halloween a hit this year whether you’re carving and painting real or artificial pumpkins! This book includes 26 patterns and tons of helpful hints to make your Halloween crafts fool-proof as well as easy and safe.
Take your pumpkin carving to the extreme and amaze your neighbors!
- 20 frightful, fabulous patterns for 3D faces & scenes in pumpkins
- Step-by-step instructions for extreme pumpkin carving with either kitchen knives or carving tools
- Expert advice on creating realistic features like cheeks, lips, and eyebrows to bring your pumpkins to life
- Stunning gallery of extreme pumpkins art, plus photos of each finished carving
- Uses solid pumpkins, with no hollowing necessary
Put a new twist on the Halloween tradition and create the best jack-o’-lantern on the block! Extreme Pumpkin Carving takes a fresh approach, showing you how to use relief-carving techniques to create realistic features.
You’ll learn the secrets of adding personality to pumpkins by carving out actual cheeks, lips, eyebrows and more—instead of just cutting out solid shapes—that really make your pumpkins come alive! Authors and award-winning carvers Vic Hood and Jack A. Williams show you to create awesome never-before-seen designs that will astonish your neighbors and guests.
Learn to carve 20 fun three-dimensional faces and fantastic scenes in solid pumpkins (no hollowing necessary) using tools ranging from simple kitchen knives to carving gouges and chisels. Complete information is provided for getting started, including an overview of tools and tips for finding the best pumpkin to work with.
Step-by-step instructions are detailed for using handy household tools to carve dramatic Halloween figures, and using professional tools for creating more elaborate and intricate details. Twenty extreme pumpkin carving patterns are provided, along with full-color photographs of each finished carving.
This is a great book for Halloween enthusiasts who are striving to create the best jack-o’-lantern on the block. It’s also perfect for woodcarvers who are looking for new and inexpensive ways to celebrate Halloween.
Extreme Pumpkin Carving provides a terrific opportunity for creative expression. Inside you’ll find everything you need to get started, with step-by-step instructions for carving frightful but fabulous pumpkins to amaze and delight your family.
3. Getting Carving
We all know that the pumpkins are the stars of Halloween! Whether they’re sitting on your driveway, enticing trick-or-treaters to your door, or sitting in the windows warding off evil spirits, who can resist the flickering glare of a “Jack-o-Lantern”?
In this short book, you’ll learn about the history of pumpkins and Halloween as well as discover how to carve a great pumpkin to impress your family, friends and neighbours.
If you’ve always just hacked and slashed at a pumpkin to create the “scary” face, but wondered how talented artists manage to create faces you recognise in a pumpkin, this is the book for you!
Carve the perfect Halloween masterpiece! 14 fang-tastic patterns for:
- Sugar Skull
- Black Cat
- Witch on Broomstick
- Ghosts & Ghouls
- …and more!
Whether you’re a first-time pumpkin carver or an experienced pro, create the best jack-o-lantern on the block with this handy guide!
Impress those trick-or-treaters with clever, easy-to-carve, easy-to-make pumpkin ideas. Easy Pumpkin Carving offers tips and tricks to make your pumpkin carving easier, faster, and more effective, plus techniques for simple but innovative pumpkin carvings that go way beyond traditional methods. Create luminary pumpkins and etched pumpkins, combine multiple pumpkins in creative ways, or embellish pumpkins without even touching a knife!
With inspirational color photos and over a dozen ready-to-use pumpkin carving patterns, you’re sure to have a spooktacular Halloween with Easy Pumpkin Carving!
Carve the best pumpkin on the block!
- Learn carving techniques that bring out pumpkin personalities by creating three-dimensional faces
- 2 step-by-step projects to help you get started
- 24 ready-to-use patterns for carving imaginative faces
- Start with solid pumpkins, gourds, squash, or sweet potatoes—no hollowing necessary
- Get inspired with a gorgeous colorful gallery of realistic pumpkin art
Make Halloween magic this year by carving realistic pumpkins!
This book will show you how to use easy-to-learn techniques to create awesome “3D” pumpkin personalities that will astonish your neighbors, family, and friends. Learn the secrets of bringing expressive pumpkin characters to life by adding realistic details like teeth and eyes—instead of just cutting out solid shapes—so you can create your own one-of-a-kind Halloween pumpkins.
Award-winning pumpkin carver Lundy Cupp teaches you how to use simple household knives and inexpensive tools to carve memorable pumpkin faces, from frightful and spooky to fanciful and goofy. He takes you step-by-step through detailed projects for both beginning and advanced carvers.
Twenty-four ready-to-use patterns are included for carving imaginative faces in pumpkins, gourds, squashes, and sweet potatoes, plus two complete step-by-step projects, and a stunning photo gallery for inspiration.
4. Show Off Your Masterpieces
If you’re carving pumpkins this year, please feel free to share your masterpieces in the comments. I’ll give away a copy of “Under A Hunter’s Moon” to my favorite design.