I recently had the pleasure of being asked to participate in Episode 28 of “Time to Go Indie Now”.
The invitation came at a great time, because I was in the process of re-releasing “Under A Hunter’s Moon”, and I’ve never been able to turn down an opportunity to work with Joe Compton, and this amazing show.
Why I’m Always By This Opportunity
GoIndieNow is an independent company, and produces several great shows every month. Joe Compton is amazing to work with, because he really respects the time, work, and availability of independent writers, film-makers, musicians, and artists that he works with.
Every time I’ve appeared on one of his chats, shows, or even just sat down with him in a group chat he’s gone out of his way to showcase other people in the best possible light. Just one look at the effects that were added to my reading of “Under A Hunter’s Moon” shows why I’ll continue to work with Joe at every opportunity.
Why I Love “Go Indie Now”
- Joe’s assembled a team that manages to put out high-quality shows that continue to improve with every new show.
- The show as a whole has built an amazing community of folks who support each other and cross-promote at every opportunity.
- There has never been an episode where I didn’t learn something new, find a book I wanted to read, or reach out to make a new connection!
- And as someone who does a lot of their own promotion, loves reading, and loves promoting others, that’s huge!
And Now, As Joe Would Say: “It’s Time To Go Indie Now”
Here’s episode 28 in it’s entirety. If you want to jump to any of the book readings, there is a clickable list of the time indexes below the video. I’ve also included direct links to all the books featured in the “New Releases” segment of the show.
As you watch the readings, if you want to hear more from that author, click on the “i” icon on the top right corner, and vote for that author. Each vote is an extra chance that they’ll be invited back to do more readings on the “This Week In Indies” show (also produced by Joe).
#GoIndieNow #newreleases If you click on the “i” in the right hand corner after the awesome readings of @Marnie_Cate @AndyPeloquin @QuixoticKatie @KristinaRienzi @timothybatesona you can vote 4 who you would love to see do a 2nd reading on TWII from https://t.co/ZehLCfJhdE
— Joe Compton/GoIndieNow (@Joedream73) July 3, 2018
Links To Individual Readings & Books
Timestamp New Release Link Author Name 0:46:03 “Chasing Caitlyn“ Marnie Cate 0:52:19 “Darkblade Assassin” Andy Peloquin 0:56:54 “Among Us” Kristina Rienzi 1:04:59 “A Weapon of Magical Destruction” Katie Salidas 1:12:05 “Under A Hunter’s Moon” Timothy Bateson
There are 2 sides to every story…
For as long as he could remember Detective Charles Street wanted to be a police officer, moreover a Detective. He wanted to be knee deep in the action, working the biggest cases, and reaping the biggest rewards. He also didn’t think when his dream job came a calling that it would ever turn into his nightmare.
For as long as he could remember Jack Casey just wanted to be free, his own man to do what he pleased when pleased. He too craved the action and when his dream life came a calling, he didn’t think he would meet anyone his equal and definitely didn’t think he could ever have difficulty leave the world he loathed and mocked behind.
Amongst The Killing documents each of their stories, told in their own words, as the moments unfolded when their paths first crossed and their lives intersected. How two men, with two different philosophies, could be so different and yet so connected.
As the ultimate cat and mouse game unfolds, each has to deal separately with the others decisions and the effects it has in turning their lives sideways and upside down. Will one of them crack? Will one of them even succeed? Ultimately the journey may mean more than the game and show both of them the outcome neither was ever expecting.
From the Author
Writing has always been a passion. Published in his school anthology at an early age, Joe got to see firsthand what it took to publish and sell something on your own. Joe joined the Marines and while serving his country, wrote the first draft of Amongst The Killing. When Joe got out he began pursuing his writing dream. He got an agent and they got an offer from a publishing company. Alas though they wanted to change the entire concept. Joe didn’t want to go along and walked away. So Never Mind The Fine Print Publishing LLC was born.
Where To Find Joe Compton
It’s Time To GoIndieNow!
Joe also runs GoIndieNow, an online platform that highlights, fosters, and supports Indie Artists of all art forms.
I’ve had the pleasure of working with Joe on a number of projects under the GoIndieNow platform. He’s a great interviewer, who genuinely loves helping get word out about his fellow indie artists, regardless of their medium.
You can learn more at goindienow.com and don’t forget to check out past episodes on the
I’m Timothy Bateson, and this is my third time doing the Brain to Books Cyber Convention & Book Expo. Every year, this event has just got bigger and better organized, and I’ve gone from a participating author to Fantasy Genre Manager. What makes this year different is that I’m more excited than ever, because there are so many great authors coming on board this year, as well as some old friends returning from previous years.
Over the last few weeks I’ve had the honor of helping over 70 fantasy authors prepare themselves for the CyCon, as well as getting ready myself.
So, what have we got going one?
- Fantasy Blog Hop – Your chance to take a tour of some of the authors websites and learn more about them. Discover additional materials, uncover great books, sign-up for exclusive offers/news. The blog hop is separated into three groups, and will go live on April 6th at 9pm EST:
- Tour #1 – starts here – featuring: Aaron-Michael Hall, Alexandra Carey, Alexis Kennedy, Amanda Mabry, Andy Peloquin, Angel M., Angela B. Chrysler
- Tour #2 – starts here – featuring: Angela J. Ford, Assaph Mehr, C.T. Callahan, D. Thourson Palmer, Ilana Maletz, Jack Massa, Jodie Pierce
- Tour #3 – starts here – featuring: Logan Miehl, Mackenzie Flohr, Sarah Kennedy, Stephen Morris, Toi Thomas, Zachary Chopchinski, Mary R. Woldering
- Fantasy Genre Tour – This is where we give the authors the spotlight, and let them take the floor. You’ll find book expos, articles, and giveaways inside:
- First Lines Scavenger Hunt – Match the first lines of the stories to the books they came from, and be entered for a chance to win some amazing prizes. The participating authors have offered up everything from books to gift cards.
- Fantasy Author Showcase – Drop in on the authors over at Goodreads, where you can find out more about over 30 great fantasy authors. We’re the largest group in the expo, with some of the most diverse readers. Come find out why!
What I’ll Be Doing
I’m taking part in many of the events that are listed above, as well as overseeing several things happening on Facebook, running some discussion panels, and much more.
- I’m also one of the authors being featured in the “Book Dreams: Volume 1” anthology, coming from Brain to Books. “April Fool: Shadows Over Seattle #0.5” will be exclusive to his collection.
- There is also my Author Showcase, over on Goodreads, which will be, so be sure to drop in and get to see some behind-the-scenes information for my stories.
- Ever wondered what it sounded like when an author recorded the opening chapter of his own book? Watch me read the first chapter of “Under A Hunter’s Moon: Shadows Over Seattle (Prequel #1)”, then pick up your copy from Amazon.
- There is also a very good chance that I’ll be dropping in on Joe Compton, over at the GoIndieNow podcast.
So head over to the Brain to Books website, and save the dates for this amazing event, and discover some fantastic books and writers.
Day #1 Launch the Holidays with the Slush Brain Crew
Embrace the Debauchery
Two years ago, the zaniest, weirdest group of eccentrics collided in a drunken stupor. Brought together by the love of zombies, fleas, and drinking, these authors found sanctuary within their insanity. Today, we celebrate this imbroglio! We’re giving away stuff all in the name of…we really don’t know why we’re doing it. If you love Science Fiction, Fantasy, all things nerdy, and well…booze, join us for this one day on board the HMS Slush Brain!
***So not family friendly.***
$100.00 AMAZON GIFT CARD GIVEAWAY AND BOOK BASH!
Sign up is now open and ends 8:00 PM EST 18 December 2016. Winner is announced 8:30 PM EST 18 December 2016!
Enter for a chance to win at http://angelabchrysler.com/2016/11/hms-slush-brain-book-bash/
The Schedule for the HMS Slush Brain Book Bash!
- 11:00 AM EST – Angela B. Chrysler
- 12:00 PM EST – Kylie Jude
- 1:00 PM EST – Cindy L Schneider
- 2:00 PM EST – Adam Dreece
- 3:00 PM EST – Matthew William Harrill
- 4:00 PM EST – Jay Norry
- 5:00 PM EST – Cindy L Schneider
- 6:00 PM EST – MLS Weech
- 7:00 PM EST – Ani Manjikian
- 8:00 PM EST – ***HAPPY HOUR***
Zombies From Space…and Vampires
Day #2 Holiday Giveaway and CyCon Sampler
Every year Brain to Books hosts a Holiday Book Giveaway. This year, our giveaway is a CyCon Sampler. Get a sneak preview of the Brain to Books Cyber Convention. While you’re here, we have a $100.00 Amazon gift card to hand out to someone along with a list of books we’re giving away!
1 – Browse the Author Takeover displaying sales, giveaways, games, prizes, etc.
2 – $100.00 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway
3 – Holiday Book Giveaway
4 – Blog Hop (YA, Science Fiction, and Romance)
5 – Vote in Character Tournaments
If you’ve stopped in, please take a moment to share this event with your followers. Every little bit helps.
Takeover Author Sign Up for 17 December 2016:
10:00 AM EST – ***WELCOME AND INTRO***
10:30 AM EST – Angela B. Chrysler
11:00 AM EST – Joshua Robertson
11:30 AM EST – Dove Winters
12:00 PM EST – Stephanie and Amanda present…
1:00 PM EST – Karina Kantas
1:30 PM EST – Dianna Wyles
2:00 PM EST – ***ABOUT THE CYCON***
2:30 PM EST – S. A. Hoag (AKA Sheila Hoag )
3:00 PM EST – Tabitha Barret
3:30 PM EST – Carol Ann King
4:00 PM EST – A.F. Stewart
4:30 PM EST – Joe Compton
5:00 PM EST – Connie Cockrell
5:30 PM EST – Devorah Fox
6:00 PM EST – ***OPEN TO ALL AUTHORS WHO MISSED SIGN UP***
6:30 PM EST – ***OPEN TO ALL AUTHORS WHO MISSED SIGN UP***
7:00 PM EST – Susanne Leist
7:30 PM EST – Ani Manjikian
8:00 PM EST – Kerry Alan Denney
8:30 PM EST – Tom Fallwell
Don’t forget to donate your giveaway here https://braintobooks.com/brain-books-2016-holiday-giveaway-cycon-sampler/
Day #3 Release Parties and Winners Announced
Ani Manjikian is preparing to release the 2nd book in her series “Stars of Heros” (Heros as in Thracian Heros from Greek mythology) is a Science Fiction novel.
Join us for Science Fiction fun and Mythological related books! Prizes, games, giveaways, and so much more!
TAKEOVER SIGN UP EVENT! Authors! Select your times below!
This is a mythology (Greek, Roman, and Thracian) Science Fiction and Fantasy!
10:00 AM EST –
11:00 AM EST –
12:00 PM EST –
1:00 PM EST –
2:00 PM EST –
3:00 PM EST
4:00 PM EST
5:00 PM EST
6:00 PM EST
7:00 PM EST
8:00 PM EST – WINNERS ANNOUNCED!
We are still taking sign ups! Authors! Jump in and grab yours here!
On Saturday August 20th, I sat down and took part in a panel discussion for GoIndieNow. The subject was Book Covers, and there was a great group of folks on the discussion panel. Now I’m not shy about cover design, and it’s importance in selling a book, so this was a panel I really looked forward to. Everyone had different experiences, and came from different backgrounds, so it was not only interesting, but informative.
Note: This is a long discussion panel, so you may want to grab a drink before you start watching.
Why Is Cover Design Important?
While it is one element of the process, it is an important one.
It’s the first thing that catches your eyes. A good book cover can bring someone in and while it doesn’t tell whether the book is good or not, it is that first impression that an author should be seeking.
It also shows a level of professionalism and care that can be unmatched in even the writing. A good book cover can sell someone something they never knew about. A good book is what they will tell their friends about.
It surprising how much it is overlooked or sometimes overthought. So where do you find the balance? What are some of the key elements to a winning book cover? Join our panel as they discuss.
Joshua Robertson (Owner of Crimson Edge Publishing and Best Selling Author Of Melkorka, book 1 in The Kaelandur Series, and Author of the Thrice Nine Legends Saga)
Heidi Angell (Author of The Hunters Series, The Clear Angel Chronicles, and The Hell School Series. She also created Royal Prince Vince, and Creative Exercises to Inspire.)
Rebekah Jonesy (Romance/Erotica Writer of 8 Romance novels including Melissa’s Men and Safely Begun)
Timothy Bateson (Author of Under A Hunter’s Moon and Expert Blogger of Ramblings of An Author)
Michael J Elliot (Author of Short Stories Collections Portrait of Dread and Choice Cuts and Book Cover Designer).
Jin Okubo (Romance Author of Love and Kaoru: In Loves Shadow and the Fantasy book Memories, and GoIndieNow Contributor)
Go Indie Now – Episode Five – Is Now Available Live
A couple of weeks ago, I sat down on Google Hangouts, for an interview. Joe Compton, of GoIndieNow was kind enough to take more than an hour out of his day to ask me some questions about my writing, blogging, and background.
I’d like to thank Joe for his wonderful comments at the end of the interview, and for helping me to extend the invitation to other indie authors. He’s an amazing advocate for the Independent lifestyle, supporting writers, film makers, musicians and more through his GoIndieNow podcasts, and blog.
Watch the Episode Now!
Episode 5, of GoIndieNow contains an edited version of the interview, along with interviews with several other guests. Joe is joined by Rhett Grametbauer (author and documentary film-maker), myself, and Lauren Michelle (singer/songwriter). The wonderful, Jin Okubo also drops in to do a book review, and overall, it’s just a fun episode to watch.
If you want to go straight to the interview, fast forward to the 25:40 minute mark, or check out the full hour-long interview (linked below). And hang around until after the interview, at the 43:12 mark, to hear Joe’s comments about the interview, and me.
Here’s the full interview!
The full interview ran for over an hour, and you can hear the full audio version of it here.
Love what you saw?
Don’t forget to subscribe to the GoIndieNow YouTube channel for past episodes, and to get notified of new videos as they’re posted.
Also, check out the full interviews on the GoIndieNow PodBean channel
I was tagged by Joe Compton of Goindienow to answer 10 questions from the tag A Writer’s Life for Me.
Joe’s video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5AWhXaP8KY
Hope you enjoy my answers here:
Ariel answered here: https://www.facebook.com/ariel.marie.12576/videos/1612243722423839
A Writer’s Life for Me Tag Questions:
1. What kind of writer are you? (Fiction, poetry, plays, screenplays, non-fiction, more than one of these?)
2. When did you start writing? What made you want to try it?
3. What inspires your stories (or poems, plays, etc.)?
4. What themes do you like to explore in your writing?
5. Are you a pantser or a plotter or a bit of both?
6. Where are you at in your journey? Querying, agented, published?
7. Have you ever entered any writing contests? Finaled? Won?
8. Who are your writer heroes?
9. Have you been to a writing conference?
10. Top 3 tips you’d give to newbie writers?