Sometimes when you’re a writer, you come across a news article that you’re sure would fit right into one of your stories.
I setup Google Alerts this week, and asked it to produce alerts for articles, news and events in Seattle, Washington. And the top item on day one was something amazing…
Woman arrested after trying to break into Seattle family’s home through a dog door
- This headline has story written all over it
- As an urban fantasy writer, this sounds like something that would fit in my stories easily
- Since I write about shapeshifters, I’m thinking I missed the boat when it came to drunk shapeshifters
- I may well have myself a new character to feature at some point
- It’s a shame this headline wasn’t about a guy caught doing the same thing, I could have used it as a promo for “The Lupine’s Call”
So… Who Was This Woman?
I didn’t see a lot of information about the would-be burglar, so that got my thoughts churning. And yeah, this is pretty much the order I wrote my notes down…
- In the Seattle of the “Shadows Over Seattle” stories she would likely be a member of the Lupine breed of shapeshifters.
- Since the supernatural creatures keep a low profile she’s probably an outsider to the city who’s visiting family.
- She was probably drinking because of a loss in the family (the reason for her visit).
- Having mistaken the house for her family member’s she’d tried to open the door but found she’d lost the key, or left it behind when she went out.
- She’d tried under the doormat for a spare key, and couldn’t find one.
- The dog door was her drunken solution to not wanting to wake sleeping family members.
And that’s how my brain works sometimes…