What is Kindle Scout?
Kindle Scout is reader-powered publishing for new, never-before-published books. It’s a place where readers help decide if a book gets published.
Kindle Scout is a great way for writers to get noticed by potential readers, and for readers to help get great books published. So let’s look at how it works:
How Does It Work For Authors?
Authors submit their previously unpublished books to Kindle Scout with the hopes of gaining the attention of potential readers. Every book gets the same chance – a thirty day campaign during which readers can add the title to their list of nominations. At the end of that thirty days the more nominations book has, the more chance it will have of being noticed by the team members behind Kindle Press.
See “How It Works For Authors” for more information.
How About The Readers?
Well, this is where the program becomes interesting.
Readers get the chance to browse through the books that are hoping to get a publishing deal. Browsing can be done in any number of ways.
- Hot & Trending – will pull up the books that are currently getting large numbers of nominations.
- Recently Added – brings up the newest books that were added by authors.
- Ending Soon – shows which books are coming up on the end of their thirty day campaigns.
- Categories – this works just like a regular book search on Amazon
- Literature & Fiction
- Mystery, Thriller & Suspense
- Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Teen & Young Adult
- Published by Kindle Press – will show you the books that have already been published through Kindle Press.
Now, here’s where it gets even more interesting. Readers can only have three nominations on their list at any time. But here’s the good news. As a campaign expires, the book drops out of the readers lists. Also, readers can bookmark titles for later, so that books that caught their attention can be added to their nominations as spaces become available.
See “How It Works For Readers” for more information.
So What’s In It For Me?
If You’re The Writer…
All books that are nominated go through a review process. Those that are selected for publication through Kindle Press receive a publishing contract, and the power of Amazon marketing.
If You’re The Reader…
As a thank you from the author, and Kindle Scout, you will receive a free copy of all books that are in your nomination list at the end of their campaigns.